Congratulations on your engagement!
The Marriage Preparation Course for second marriages is specifically tailored to help you identify the blessings and challenges of entering into a second marriage. Ultimately, the goal of this course is to strengthen your faith and give you the tools to live the vocation of marriage. “… Christian marriage is itself a journey of faith. It is a special opportunity for the engaged to rediscover and deepen the faith received in baptism and nourished by their Christian upbringing.” (Pope John Paul II)
Throughout the weekend, you will meet married couples who will share how they live out the sacrament of marriage on a daily basis, and you will participate in a variety of activities related to the vocation of Christian marriage. You will also meet many other engaged couples who are on a similar journey as you! Please come with open hearts and minds. This weekend is just one of the first steps toward becoming a Christian married couple and it will help strengthen your understanding of God’s plan for your life together.
Please view the steps listed below.
Prior to the weekend, read all documents and watch the “Natural Family Planning is . . .” video:
1. The schedule lists the starting and ending times of the course and provides an overview of the topics presented. Important information regarding our cancellation policy can also be found on the schedule.
2. As a couple, watch the “Natural Family Planning Is…” video (found at the bottom of the page) and complete the attached reflection questions. This video will give you some basic insights from a couple’s perspective on the beauty of the Church’s teaching on sexuality and the importance of being open to life. Our goal is to prepare you for the material presented at the weekend and deepen your understanding of your upcoming marriage in Christ. The video is approximately 30 minutes in length.
3. As Christian couples, we are called to share our time, talent and financial resources. The act of giving is a sign that you have formed a partnership with Christ in caring for your brothers and sisters. Therefore, you are invited to bring a nonperishable food item for the Caritas Food Shelf. Click here for a list of suggested food items to donate.
4. The marriage course is held at the Pastoral Center located across the street from Cathedral High School. You may park in the lot off of 4th Street North — a “Marriage Course” sign will be posted at the entrance. Directions to the Pastoral Center can be found here.
5. Inclement weather can occur anytime through the year. Please read this “Weather Notice Statement” on what to do should poor weather occur during your scheduled marriage preparation course weekend.
Finally, set aside some private time Saturday evening (i.e. a leisurely meal or a quiet place for the two you). Many topics will be addressed during the weekend so you may enjoy and benefit from taking time to further discuss issues relevant to your relationship.
Preparation for marriage goes beyond the wedding celebration you are busy planning, it is a journey of faith.
May God bless you & your lifetime together!
As you watch the video, please complete the attached reflection questions together and bring the completed document with you to the marriage course.